Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Shop Talk

Greetings to everyone. I have been hard at work on my new figure project, inbetween my 9-5 job among other daily pursuits. As for my new head casting, I have done a bit of re-sculpting to the development casting, followed by what seemed to be endless amounts of sanding.There are a few more areas to attend to on the head, a bit more sanding and then I will make a new silicone mold and then pour myself a fresh new casting. I will post some pics of my latest progress very soon.

During some of my more idle moments, waiting for things to dry/set-up, I have been attempting to compile as much as I can on the subject of mechanics for figure making. I am always interested in new ways of doing things. I would love to graduate to using push rods over strings for running my mechanics.

One obstacle which I have been running into is finding help. I have found that many figure makers can be a bit secretive about sharing their ideas on constructing mechanics. Although, I have found some select few, such as Al Stevens, who have been helpful with advice on the subject.

I truthfully hope that others will realize that this art survives due to the gratitude of others who have passed the baton on to the next generation.

1 comment:

Steve Barry said...

Nice work Ken!

Where do you get your sculpting clay from? The guy I buy from just closed shop and I thought I'd as around. You can email me at gepettosworkshop@yahoo.com

Thanks!and keep up that great work!
Steve Barry