Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Smooth in "Smooth Cast"

I just purchased some great mold making products from the people at Smooth Cast and I am very impressed with their Silicone rubber and Feather Lite Urethane resin. The silicone is particularly nice and very user friendly; it's basically a two-part mix ratio and what a relief. Most Silicone RTV's require careful measurements. As for the Urethane resin, the stuff exhibits a nice consistency upon first pour and is very easy to work with.Mixing is the same for this product as well--equal parts A & B.

Another plus for using Silicone RTV is that you don't need a release agent, but if you plan to make several castings, you might want to try it in order to extend the life of the mold. As for me, I may only make a few castings for this recent project.

I wanted to give a big thanks to Joe Smith, a very talented sculptor, for his Smooth Cast products suggestion!

1 comment:

Nique said...

Hi Ken,

I'm just sitting here thinking...about how awesome it will be to one day see your name as the headliner of a show!! You are a phenomenal artist and craftsman, if I could only have a speck of your artistic talent! I can't wait to see your guy evolve. Keep us updated!